Elena Chernyshova is a Russian documentary photographer based in France, born in 1981 in Moscow, USSR.
Self-taught photographer, she got passion for this visual language during her studies in the Architectural academy. After two years of work as an architect, Elena left her job and went on the expedition by bicycle around Eurasia with Gael de Cevoisier. Toulouse – Vladivostok – Toulouse: 30 000 km, 26 countries, 1004 days of cultural, human and challenge experience. This experience was decisive to become a photographer.
Photography for her is a way to investigate the daily life of different groups and communities in the context of environmental, political and economic changes. Her work aims to visualize the impact of certain conditions on human activity, ways of adaptation and diversity of lifestyles.
In 2011 she was awarded with the grant of Lagardère foundation for realization of a documentary ‘Days of Night – Nights of Day’ about the daily life of the industrial city of Norilsk, located 400km north of the polar circle, in Siberia.
National Geographic, Le Monde, Internazionale, Days Japan, A/R magazine, Newsweek Russia, Ecology and Life.
- Selection of the Circulation Photo Festival, photo project ‘Days of Night, Nights of Days’
-“Runners up” in the 2013 JGS Photography Contest, Forward Thinking Museum, project ‘Days of Night, Nights of Days’
- Finalist of « Invisible Photographer Asia Photos Essay Awards 2013 », photo project ‘Days of Night, Nights of Days’
- Laureate of the Lagardère fund 2012 for photography grant, for the project ‘Days of Night, Nights of Days’.
- ‘coup de cœur of ANI’ 2010 (during the ‘Visa pour l’Image’ festival), project ‘Awaiting Movement’
- ‘Europen Emerging Talent’ during the Nikon International Photo Contest 2008-2009
April – Juin 2011: ‘Inter-espaces Urbains’, Galerie Photon, Toulouse, France.
April – May 2011: ‘Le Mythe de la Femme Russe’, cité de l’espace, Toulouse.
December 2010 – Mars 2011: ‘Trans-Asiatique’, Galerie of ANA agency, Paris.
August – September 2010: ‘The dance of the Kalashs’, Visa Off, Perpignan.